Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happy Ending





















Peter's eight month battle has come to an end. A happy one. He's in the clear. No more chemo, no more central line, and no more cancer. What a blessing. What a miracle.
He's going to be followed very closely for the next four years, which is very reassuring. So we are on our way to living life again. We will not let the fear of the slight possibility of the cancer returning hang over us or over come our thoughts. We realize better now how precious life is and we're determined to enjoy each day more than before. It's a little sad to me that it takes having a child suffer through cancer to really understand that. I'm sure there are many people that already get this but I wasn't one of them. I am now.
We will always remember the love, support, and daily help that Grandma and Grandpa Hallen have given us these past eight months. We've been trying to think of a way or a gift to give them to say thank you for all they've sacrificed for us but there's nothing that we could give that would ever be enough. Their kindness and unselfish service has been a great example of our Savior's love. We thank Heavenly Father every day for them. I hope they will be able to get back to living their life and doing the things that they have looked forward to doing before this came up. One of the greatest blessing in all of this is that some very fortunate grandchildren have learned the importance of family. And we belong to a great one.
There have been many others: family, friends, ward family, doctors & nurses, and even strangers that have reached out to us during this difficult time. It has been very touching to be on the receiving end of so much love and thoughtfulness. So many have prayed for Peter and those prayers have been answered. It has been amazing to feel the power of those prayers. It's what has gotten us through this. So thank you, thank you, thank you. A million times, thank you.
Our knowledge of a loving Heavenly Father has been deepened. His love has cushioned the hard and trying times. I don't know how we would've made it with out feeling his love. It has made all the difference. Prayer really is the answer, especially when you've tried everything else. He can't always take away the pain or suffering but he's able to ease it.
I'm grateful for the lessons I've learned and my children have learned through this. Our family is stronger for it. Our faith is strengthen because of it.

5 comments:

rach said...

It was so great to see him at church today. He is such a great kid. I am so happy for you entire family. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I love you guys.

See you Wednesday morning. Yay for carpooling ;)

Mrs. Burch said...

Nola...I'm something of a secret stalker of your blog, but had to comment this time. I'm so grateful I stumbled upon you again (years later) and have been able to read and be inspired by you, your family and your story. After tearing up a bit this morning while reading this, I needed you to know that you've been an inspiration to me (and many others, I'm sure). Thanks for sharing... Peter rules.

Lindsey said...

oh, I am so happy that everything has worked out for you and your family. Your story and experiences, have strengthened more then just you and your family. You have strengthened everyone around you. Your are seriously one of my favorite people. :) Love ya

carmen said...

Nola, I love you and we are so happy for you and Peter and your family. So Happy! You have been such an example and an inspiration to me.

Purcell's Party said...

Nola, I was so excited to see him at church, he just looked so happy and healthy! Congratulations!! We are so happy that you can all return to some normalcy, especially for him to be able to just be a kid again! We love you and your family and feel truly blessed to know you. You have strengthened us through this trial, what an inspiration you are! =)