Friday, May 1, 2009

Oh, {Baking} Goodness!















These are definitely not on my diet. Aren't they lovely though? Cussing Tarts. Yum.

So... Monday came and so did the beginning of my diet. Not just any old- fad, crash, no carbs, only lemon water or watermelon diet. I'm on the low iodine diet. It's a good one. The only diet I don't cheat on, because it would only mean that I would have to be on it longer. Torture!

Here's the real motivation why I can stick to this hard core diet. My endocrinologist (thyroid cancer doctor) ordered it for my post thyroid cancer testing.

I'm trying to pretend like it's a game. So if you want to play along with me here are the rules:
  • no dairy {what else is there???}
  • nothing from a can
    nothing with salt (because salt has iodine in it)
  • no egg yolks
  • no strawberries
  • no potato skins
  • no fast food eating
  • no soy
  • no deli meat
  • no pork, bacon, bacon bits, ham {this might be a timely diet due to swing flu :0}
  • nothing from the sea
  • no milk chocolate

The no dairy is the hardest, hardest, hardest for me. I bake and cook with it all the time. Oh, I miss butter.

Okay here's what we can eat:

  • fresh fruit
  • fresh veggies
  • oil
  • Jiffy peanut butter
  • salt with no iodine {i use Kosher}
  • 6 oz of fresh meat a day
  • no red dye #something???
  • pasta {but not with a sauce made from dairy}
  • flour tortillas & corn tortillas {but not with cheese}
  • wheat bread
  • real oatmeal
  • rice {not rice-a-roni}

We do this for about 3 weeks. We'll loose about 12 to 15 pounds. That's exciting. It's been 5 days and I fit into two pairs of pants that I've recently out grew. That's a good thing because I've worn out two others. The causalities of stress and too much snacking.

Let me know how you do. I'm hoping to loose a few pounds and hope to never find them again.

5 comments:

dianadana said...

This sounds familiar... only Kyle is the only one wearing old pants. Dang it!

rach said...

those look delicious, you need to post a link to the recipe. Hmmm, I wonder if I could do no dairy? You've got me curious. I just might play your game.

Purcell's Party said...

Argh...how fun to turn it into a game...only you could take food restrictions and make them fun. I have a surprise for you when you are done...lots of butter and dairy stuff in it. Keep me posted!!

Freeze Family said...

I am thinking that if anyone can do this diet thing it's you!! I can't even pretend to start this one!! (Since I HAVE to have my daily gram craker dunk in milk!!)
good luck and I think I have found the lb's you lost!

Anne said...

those tarts look increadible!