Thursday, October 1, 2009

An Overdue Cleaning

After taking children to their schools Tuesday morning it was just Peter and me. Peter's been under the weather lately due to an overdose of grapes. I didn't know that consuming grapes in abundance could do that to a person, let alone a little guy. Peter's poor stomach and bum. So we've been hanging out at home where there is a good supply of diapers and clean clothes and desitin. Maybe I should go on the grape diet....hummmm. A good cleansing.

After I spent a half hour arranging the canyons so beautifully I knew that I needed to be more productive and tend to the things that have been neglected for quite some time. Like the family car. It's white, or it used to be. I can't even remember the last time the children and I have washed it. Today had to be the day.

The dirty expedition is a big job for one mommy and a preschooler. Some how I mustered up the courage and got started. It took me an hour to get it sparkling. The windows were finger print free and the wheels were silver again. Amazing.

I was actually excited when it was time to do the afternoon Crafton carpool. It felt so much better driving around. I love looking out clean windows. The whole world seemed a more pleasant place to be. The blue sky even seemed brighter. When I pulled up to the curb and Andrew opened the door he noticed right away with rave reviews of the sparkling white color. A friend walking by commented to me that I looked at peace. "thank you, kind friend"

As I drove to and from on errands and later to a meeting I found myself smiling. I was surprised when I noticed that the gloomy, fearful, and doubting mood that I've been under for the past three months have been washed away with the dirt that had built up on the car. I felt scrubbed and polished and now I was sparkling.

"Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage: be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9

I'll be washing the car more often, along with other things. Courage.

2 comments:

carmen said...

Nola, you know I LOVE you SO MUCH! You CRACK ME UP with your cleansing diet remark!! Too funny. I love what you've done with your blog - you must teach me some things!! I love the pic of Peter on the side, and I still don't know how to put links on my blog!! Just another way that I think you are truely AMAZING!!I love your beautiful crayon art, too. It's so funny what you said about your clean car - I am exactly the same way!! There is just something to be said about driving around in a clean, sparkly car - it actually makes you feel GOOD!! Mine is way overdue for a good cleaning - you've inspired me to take the time to clean it - or at least take it through a run at the car wash!!

Megs said...

this is totally unrelated to ur post but it's weird that on my blog, when i click on my picture that i posted, it doesn't get big! weird eh? huh....