Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What Have I Done for Someone Today?

I'm able to go to church now since my incision is almost healed and it doesn't hurt to sit up. I go just to Sacrament Meeting for now. The talks were wonderful. I especially loved Kim's inspiring talk about Pres. Monson's talk, What Have I Done for Someone Today? It gave me a lot to think about. I realized that I've been missing this in my life this past month. I've been recovering from surgery and haven't done much for others. Family and friends are serving me. Every day I get a call, a letter, an email, a package, lunch, dinner, flowers, house keepers {thanks D.A.}or a visit from one of my friends or ward family. It's really brightened up my days. I know it's one of the reasons I'm doing so well. I feel so loved. How can I be down or feel sorry for myself or situation when so many care about me and do so much for me? I can't. I felt a resolve to find someone to serve or do more for my family.

But after Sacrament meeting I headed to the grocery store. Yes, you heard me right. I was going to the store on the Sabbath. I know. I felt terrible about this. I can't even remember the last time I have been to the store on the Sabbath. A long time. And I can't believe that I'm actually writing this for my posterity to read 100 years from. I kept hoping that somebody out of the blue, possibly following a prompting, would call me and ask me if I needed croissant roll dough so I wouldn't have to break the Sabbath {you know? #4 of the 10 commandments}and go to the store to purchase the most important ingredient for this most delicious main dish. It's the one thing I forgot to get on my Saturday night run to Stater's. I'm making my family's favorite: Chicken Pillows {recipe to follow if you read this long post, it's like a little reward for enduring to the end} So in the store I went in my pink skirt and pink flats, looking really churchy. I told myself that I was only going in for the one item. But as I stood in line with my croissants roll dough I noticed that the candy bars were on sale, 2 for $1. And I felt prompted to get two. Yes, prompted!

There was just one person in line in front of me. It was an older woman who looked very stiff and down. I couldn't help over hearing part of their conversation. It sounded sad. So when the woman left with her groceries I asked the checker what was wrong. She and the bagger told me that when they wished her a Happy Valentine's Day, she commented that she's all alone. Her husband died last year and her son joined the army and is stationed in Afghanistan. Then the checker said the woman started to cry. Nobody gave her a hug or offered her any kind words. They just froze and took pity on her with no words of comfort. Poor lady.

As I walked out to my car I could see her pushing her cart to her car and wiping her tears. So I pulled out the candy bars {thankful for promptings} and went over to the woman and said that I was behind her in line and I gave her the candy bar and wished her a Happy Valentine's Day. She started to cry and gave me a hug. I started to cry. Not just for this woman but for being able to go to church and learn the things that Heavenly Father intends for us to know so that we can make it back to Him someday and to help others along the way.

So many have helped me in my time of need, especially this past month. Through their kind actions and loving words I have felt Heavenly Father's love for me and that has made all the difference.

We talked for some time in the parking lot. I learned a lot about Charlotte. I'm glad I had something to give her, chocolate, a hug, and a listening ear. In return I felt a little closer to my Savior.


Now, here's the recipe. Let me know if you try it.

Ricks College Chicken Pillows
4 – 6 cooked chicken breast
1 roll of refrigerated croissant dough rolls
Italian breadcrumbs
Dried or fresh herbs
Fresh garlic or garlic salt
Cheese
8 oz cream cheese
1-cup sour cream
½ cup butter

First boil the chicken breast in little water for 20 minutes, cool, then chop up, set aside. In a bowl mix cream cheese, sour cream, chopped parsley or other herbs like thyme, press fresh garlic or sprinkle some garlic salt to taste, salt & pepper to taste, and ¼ of a cup of any cheese like cheddar, mozzarella, Parmesan. Mix in chicken. Roll out croissant dough one triangle at a time on a lightly floured surface until thin and big. Place spoonful of chicken in center of dough. Fold up, seal with water. Dip pillow in melted butter then in Italian breadcrumbs. Bake in oven at 350 for 30 minutes. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Purcell's Party said...

Are you kidding me?? You should charge people for this recipe!!!!! So yum. You looked beautiful on Sunday, just wanted you to know. You are so inspiring.

rach said...

You amaze me. You are such a wonderful person. I love you!

Lindsey said...

Hey Nola!
I wanted to let you know that I changed my blog address. It is now
www.nathy5.blogspot.com
love ya
Lindsey

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....